Forest Presbyterian Church
Questions and Answers
1. How do I get on the Church E-mail List?
Answer: Contact the Church Secretary – Joan Austin (434-525-5500) and ask to be placed on the Church E-mail List.
2. How do I get a tour of the Forest Presbyterian Church?
Answer: During the week you can contact Joan Austin – Church Secretary to arrange for a tour. Before worship during fellowship time, anyone at the Hospitality Center would be happy to give you a tour of Forest Presbyterian Church.
3. Are my children welcome to attend worship services?
Answer: Children are always welcome, but we also have a nursery attendant available during the 10:30 a.m. worship service. Children’s Chapel (for children up to second grade) is available following the children’s sermon during worship when the children would leave to go downstairs for their Bible lesson.
4. What is an Elder?
Answer: Elders are called to serve and govern the church. These leaders, who are nominated and elected by the church members, are decision-makers and ministry leaders for the church.
5. What is a Deacon?
Answer: The office of Deacon is one of sympathy and service after the example of the Lord Jesus. Deacons minister to those who are in need, to the sick, to those who need a friend, and to any who may be in distress. Deacons meet as a board and are under the supervision of and authority of the session.
6. How is Church governed?
Answer: Session is the local governing body of the church and is made up of Elders nominated and elected to Session for 3 year rolling terms (1/3 of Session is elected annually for a 3 year term). Forest Presbyterian Church is connected to other Presbyterian churches as a member of the Presbytery of the Peaks.
7. How do we join Forest Presbyterian Church?
Answer: There are three ways to join Forest Presbyterian Church: 1) Reaffirmation of faith, 2) Certificate of Transfer from another church, and 3) Profession of faith. Pastor Morgan Whitfield holds membership classes frequently that are announced in advance. These classes provide information about being a Presbyterian as well as the Biblical philosophy of the church. These classes are typically three, one hour sessions. Session welcomes new members prior to bein accepted as new members by the congregation.
8. What Programs are available for children at Forest Presbyterian Church?
Answer: Forest Presbyterian Church has numerous programs for children of all ages. These programs include the following:
· Children’s Chapel – Children’s Chapel is provided for children up through 2nd grade during the 10:30 a.m. worship.
· Nursery Program – Our Nursery Program seeks to provide a loving and fun environment for children ages 0-3 years old. It is available for the 10:30 a.m. service.
· Children’s Classes – Age appropriate Sunday School Classes are held each Sunday at 9 a.m. with curriculum that challenges the minds of young children and teaches them about the Bible.
· Youth Ministry – Forest Youth Reaching Everyone (FYRE) typically meets Sundays at 5:30 p.m. (see church calendar). These meetings are called “Recharge” and mission opportunities are called “Impact” along with fun and relaxing times called “Hangout”. The youth are very involved in retreats, missions and helping others. The Youth Group is an exciting and energetic ministry of Forest Presbyterian Church.
· Youth Worship and Music – Activities include vocal music, instrumental music, participating with the liturgy. Also included are roles in providing assistance with the projection system for Contemporary Worship
· Vacation Bible School – Every summer after the normal school year, Forest Presbyterian Church hosts Vacation Bible School.
· Various Activities – Forest Presbyterian Church has a playground for children, including a basketball hoop. Other activities during the year include a Kite-flying event, “Trunk-or- Treat” at Halloween, Egg Hunt at Easter, yard sales and trips to local soup kitchens to volunteer. See the announcement section on the home page of the church, and the Calendar, for current activities.
9. How do we get married in the Forest Presbyterian Church?
Answer: Make appointment with Pastor Morgan Whitfield.
We have a more detailed list of Church Q&A's and a magazine on our Presbyterian Denomination that we would be glad to give you at the Hospitality Center desk in the church Commons area (as you enter the doors off the parking lot.) Please join us on any Sunday of your choice. We love to have visitors and encourage you to sojourn with us to see if Forest Presbyterian is the best church fit for you!